Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review of World of Warcraft Volume 1 ( Issues #0-7)

World of Warcraft Volume 1
Available for purchase at Amazon: http://tiny.cc/jtj7f


A short review by Nomaru




I will be the first to admit that I'm somewhat of an avid World of Warcraft player.  I have played many blizzard games throughout the years.  I found myself itching to know more about this (what seemed) vast and immense universe.  Who doesn't want a story with elves, orcs, ogres and halflings (known as dwarvs and gnomes in this universe) and yes even some dragons, right?  Well the team at Blizzard has done a fine job at telling this story.



I figured this series would be a good start in a wide variety of Warcraft books that are out there as of now.  Once I saw that Walt Simonson was the author, I was on-board.  It was publish in 2007 by wildstorm (bought by DC and closed up shop in 2010).  This collection is made up of 4 volumes and was supposed to be quite a bit shorted as was intended by blizzard.  I think they may have found they needed more time to tell the story they wanted to tell...or they just wanted more cash.  You be the judge of that ;)


Let me just start out with what hits me the most about this book.  First off it's a hard back book of decent size (for the price on amazon you can't beat it).  Volume 1 of this series starts out rather well.  They introduce the characters in a way that doesn't feel like they are trying to hard to do so.  The characters are a bit on the side of boring, however.  There's the mysterious human warrior who is a complete bad ass as usual.  We have the wise and strong elf druid (monk type fights with sticks and fists etc).  And of course the last warrior who has rogue-like skills.  The character interaction leaves a bit of a cliche taste in mouth as well.  Basically you have two characters that hate each other till one of them saves the others life.  Haven't seen that one before right?

Some of the visuals for this comic are quite nice.  The picture above is only part of a panoramic two page spread that this quick photo doesn't do justice to.  I found myself staring at these two pages for a bit myself.  Overall I enjoyed the visuals in this comic.

The story in this volume isn't terrible by any standards.  I've read much worse.  But when I read this book I couldn't help but feel like I was watching the movie 'Gladiator' all over again.  The main character has amnesia and is captured and forced to fight as a gladiator with a team of others.  Sounds familiar right?

If you are a fan of Warcraft in general you might find yourself wondering why they haven't brought any of the known characters into this volume.  There were quite a few times where they could have shown Thrall or other prominent members of 'The Horde'.  All in all if you are a fan of Warcraft it's a definite read for you.  If anything you could umm get it from a friend of 'other' means.  If you aren't yet a fan of the Warcraft universe, well I would consider passing on this one.


Happy reading...

Regards,

Nomaru

No comments:

Post a Comment