Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Invincible Iron Man 500.1

Ronin here,

After several disappointing "point one" issues I sat down today with "Iron Man 500.1" I have never really read Iron Man comics, though I have always been a fan of the character,  I've seen him when he pops up in other books, and of course the Iron Man movies are fucking bad ass. That said I don't know that much about the Iron Man status quo these days. So this 'point one' issue seemed to be the perfect place to start. I poured my self a strong drink in the ironmanian style and dug in.

The cover is okay there are lots of supporting characters, and some sinister faces and what looks like Pepper Pots in her own Iron Man (Iron Woman? Iron Person?) suite. This intrigued me, I must admit. Behind Iron Man are characters I don't really recognize, I assume the black guy is Rhodey. Which either says something unpleasant about my self or something unpleasant about Iron Man's supporting cast.

Below Iron man is apparently Shinzon from "Star Trek: Nemesis". Can any one say Crossover?!?


I opened up the book and dug right in. However this book, it is not an easy book to review, and you will see why in a minute. The first thing I looked for was a recap page. Tony had fallen off my radar since siege and I really wanted a short paragraph or two to catch me up. There was however, once again, no god damn recap page.


God damn it Grey Gargoyle we already did this bit, now go back to your own review.


He does not, He is the god damn god of thunder and he deserves your god damn respect heathen.


You know, I thought we had really hit it off there.

Anyways, There is no recap page, however the entire book is a monologue, so done well it does not really need one. Tony is standing up in front of his AA group and talking about his life's story. He is vague about the Iron Man part, do they not know hes Iron Man? I thought that was common knowledge? Damn it book, this is the kind of stuff a new reader needs to know.

I read Marvel comics and I can't even tell, Imagine if your only exposure to Iron Man was through the movies. What is the current status quo? That is the kind of shit the new reader needs to know. They should put down that comic book and be excited, and engaged and ready for the next story, not confused.

The reality is this is not an Iron Man book, this is a character piece, and it is a beautiful character piece that focuses on Tony Stark. By the end of the book, despite the fact not a single punch is thrown, not a single exciting event occurs you care about this character, you are rooting for him. There really is not much to recap or even show you, it is just Tony at a podium talking to other recovering alcoholics.

(Much like Tenchi Muyo, Tony Stark likes his... eh... Tea) 

Stark goes over major events in his life and we see bits of them in flashbacks, unfortunately we don't get to see any recent events, I picked this issue up wondering why Pepper Potts had a suite of Armor, I still do not know. Actually This is more of an introduction to Tony Stark him self, this book will do you no good if you want to catch up on the latest Iron Man stories. 

There is not much else to tell about this book. Basically this is a wonderful book, and it is hard to say negative things about it, but It is a horrible introduction to the Iron Man series. If you are a new reader you are better off just picking up a random Iron Man book, but if you want to know more about Tony himself, or are a long time fan, definitely check this one out. 

Next up Uncanny X-men 534.1!

No comments:

Post a Comment