Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fear Itself Tie-ins


There are a lot of Fear Itself tie-ins, which ones suck and which ones don't suck? Well we have a lot of Meh, a few good and one 'what the hell is this?'



Lets start with the big titles that are part of the crossover.

On Going:
 



The Avengers:
It has been a mixed bag, but mostly they aren't very good. The Avengers books have been filler while the characters jet off to appear in other books. Bendis has a "talking heads" thing where the characters are being interviewed by someone. It was interesting the first time it happened. However 3 or 4 issues of it later. Uhg. As of writing the last issue was Avengers 16, it is an okay Cap story, but does not actually fit into the event properly and really does not feature any of the Avengers aside from Cap.



The New Avengers:
Mostly yay, Although the talking heads have also been here. The last issue was New Avengers 15, and it was pretty weak unless you are a huge squirrel girl fan. However Number 14 was pretty good.


Avengers Academy:
Yes, oh dear god Yes! This is how you write a tie-in book. This is it. and the last issue. Avengers Academy 18 was one of the most fun issues in the series. Drastically over powered the kids turned to dirty tricks to stay alive, and it is wonderful fun. This is how you write characters, this is how you use an Event to advance the characterizations you've already put forth. And the fact that we already know the Roster is getting shaken up, gives the event a weight to it that most of the other ones don't have.
Seriously, if you write comic books go reread the last few issues of Avengers Academy and learn how to do a crossover event right.


Invincible Iron Man:
The last issue was so terrible It gave me cancer, but the previous one was okay.

Journey into Mystery:
Awesome, Journey into Mystery is becoming one of my favorite titles, kidLoki is manipulating beings far beyond him in order to tip the scales in his big brother's favor. However it remains to be seen if the events of JiM will have any effect on Fear Itself.


Miniseries:

Fear Itself Fearsome Four:
What the, I don't even... uhg what is this? Why does it exist? Who is it for? they really charged 3 bucks for this? If you like this miniseries please feel free to mention it in the comment, because it was clearly not for me.

Fear Itself The Deep:
Defenders reunion, I have only read the first issue but it was fun. I want to get the rest. I can't judge it yet, but I feel positively about it.

Fear Itself Spider-Man:
This was an okay miniseries, it has the problem a lot of these do, which is nothing big can actually happen in it, and it does not actually seem to tie-in that tightly. But if you are a Spider-Man fan you won't hate it.

Fear Itself Youth in Revolt:
I have only read the first two issues, honestly it does not focus as tightly on the the Initiative characters I was hoping it would. Kind of interesting, but there is some stupid in there. I do not know if I will get the rest.






Fear Itself The Home Front:
An anthology series, like all Anthologies it is hit or miss. I think I have only read the first two issues, they were okay. I hated everything about the Speedball story except the art. It was just stupid. I know how Speedball feels but holy shit, who would you listen to if a super human war was breaking out? A Lady who knows nothing about superhuman tactics or Captain America?

Others:
I haven't been reading the X-books much, so I've skipped those, and I have not read it, but I have heard that the Thunderbolts tie-in was pretty good. Feel free to leave comments if you liked or hated any of these.


No comments:

Post a Comment